Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Brown Rice, Mango, and Chickpea Salad


Last week, my friend Elaine emailed me this recipe. She said that her husband had enjoyed this salad so much the night before, he had basically licked his plate clean. And a rice lover, he is not.

The recipe intrigued me enough to gather the ingredients I needed and I made it last night for dinner. I want to mention right up front that I didn't even try to get the kids to eat this. I saved half of the chicken breast for them, and baked some sweet potatoes. They were happy and there were no squabbles.

I enjoyed the salad; can't wait to have it again for lunch today. But more surprisingly, Alan LOVED this salad. He was walking around with a second bowl of it, coming up with accolades for the salad that he suggested I quote him with saying on the blog. "Different flavours in every bite!" was one that I remember he mentioned. He also demanded that it should be put on the blog, as soon as possible.

I haven't seen a reaction like that since my friend Shaila tasted the Puy Lentil, Feta, Roasted Tomato & Onion salad (April '08). Maybe this salad just really resonates with husbands. Whatever the case, it is a delicious and healthy combination of flavours and textures, just right for a light dinner.

Brown Rice, Mango, and Chickpea Salad

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1 T. tahini paste
1 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 t. lemon zest
2 t. fresh ginger, finely grated
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. paprika
1 ripe mango, cubed
1 - 14 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed well
1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes (dry packed), thinly sliced
1 1/2 c. fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 T. fresh chives, chopped
2 T. cilantro, chopped
2 c. cooked brown rice (short or long grain - I love brown Basmati)

1. In a large saucepan, bring about 4 inches of water to a boil. Add the chicken breasts, cover, and simmer until it is cooked through, about 10 minutes or so. Remove the chicken from the water and place on a plate to cool.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the slivered almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes (set a timer because they will burn quickly). Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

3. Place tahini, yogurt, orange juice, and olive oil in the work bowl of a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Add the lemon zest, ginger, garlic, cumin, and paprika and process again to blend.

4. In a large bowl, toss the mango, chickpeas, almonds, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, chives, cilantro, and brown rice together. Add the tahini dressing and mix thoroughly. Serve right away or refrigerate for a few hours and serve chilled.

*Elaine mentioned that she added the rice to the salad bowl while it was still warm. I did the same and I think I like the salad better slightly warm.
*For a vegetarian option, leave out the chicken.