Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles


I make pancakes a lot, my favourite being oatmeal pancakes (Aug. '07). But when it comes to waffles, I have always questioned myself about what the best recipe might be. The oatmeal pancake batter is too thin, in my opinion, and other recipes didn't quite fit the bill for waffles.

Mildred Pierce is a restaurant in Toronto that specializes in breakfast and brunch. I have always wanted to go, but have never had the chance. However, I do have their cookbook, Out to Brunch by Donna Dooher and Claire Stubbs. It was recommended to me by my friend, Heather, who told me it contained her all-time favourite pancake recipe. It is an excellent little cookbook, and I did end up trying the pancake recipe. It was great, but I still prefer my old stand-by, oatmeal pancakes. However, for waffles, it is perfect. The batter creates thick, soft waffles that will remind you of what a waffle should be, not some cardboard-like disc with a catchy logo!

The Clean Food Connection, my local organic grocery store, has started carrying organic buttermilk. I love using buttermilk in baking and cooking, so I asked them to bring in a litre of it for me each week. A couple weeks ago, I realized I had three litres in the fridge and I quickly put a stop to my weekly order (I have since used it all). Organic milk, in general, seems like a bit of a luxury, but to me, it's worth it. If you can find organic buttermilk, give it a try.

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 t. kosher salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 extra-large eggs
2 c. buttermilk (organic, if you can find it)
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. Sift dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk and melted butter. Using a spatula, combine the wet and dry ingredients to make a thick, lumpy batter, being careful not to overmix. Fold in blueberries gently.
3. If your waffle iron sticks, brush with melted butter or use a non-stick spray. Spoon about 3/4 cup of batter onto the hot waffle iron. Each waffle will take about 3 minutes to cook. Remove waffle from the waffle iron when it is golden brown.
4. Serve warm with warm maple syrup.