Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beet, Corn & Bulgur Salad

With spring right around the corner, my thoughts have been turning to salads and other things such as, will my summer clothes still fit me this year...??

This salad came about because I was in a pinch. I had my friend Kristine coming over for lunch, a devout vegetarian. I had about a half an hour to throw something together, and this happened to be what was available in my fridge and freezer. As far as I know, she was a happy camper - until I mentioned that I hadn't made dessert. I must be getting really serious about fitting into my bathing suit this year!

Earlier in the week, I boiled the beets and then peeled them while they were warm. Before I sauteed the corn, I thawed it out in some warm water and then drained it well. No other explanations needed except, the goat cheese seems to be everyone's favourite part, so I have added more to the leftovers before serving.

Beet, Corn & Bulgur Salad

1 c. bulgur wheat
3/4 c. boiling water
2 c. frozen sweet corn (use fresh when in season)
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cucumber, peeled & diced
1 1/2 c. beets, cooked, peeled, and julienned
1/2 c. red onion, diced small
1/3 c. fresh parsley, chopped fine
8 oz. soft goat cheese, crumbled
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper

1. Place the bulgur in a large bowl (large enough to hold the whole salad). Pour the boiling water over the bulgur and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit for 20 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Remove the plastic wrap and fluff with a fork. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Saute the corn over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add to the bowl with the bulgur.
3. As you cut the cucumber, beets, red onion, and parsley, add them to the bowl as well.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of lemon juice with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, together with the salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour before serving.
5. Just before serving, crumble the goat cheese over the salad and toss gently.