Saturday, October 11, 2008

Savoury Cranberry Sauce


Five years ago, I planned a Thanksgiving dinner to beat all others. It was held at my father-in-laws and included my family and Alan's. As part of my grand plan, I made this sauce. We were all sitting down to dinner and one of my sister-in-laws says, "Where's the canned cranberry sauce?" I had overlooked the fact that some people would still like to have the canned variety. At the time, I was ready to wring someone's neck. I've mellowed slightly now, though...

I'm afraid that this recipe will be too late for this weekend, but if you aren't already overdoing it with your menu for Thanksgiving, it makes a lovely addition to the usual, sweet sauce on the table. If you can't find any fresh pearl white onions, you could use shallots cut in half. Happy Thanksgiving!

*Comments from Thanksgiving dinner - "I prefer the sweet cranberry sauce."; "It's good but it would be better if it was warmer." There were other comments but I can't remember them all. In a nutshell, almost everyone preferred the sweet version of cranberry sauce. I am standing firm. I believe there is a place for this cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving tables, just don't forget to make the sweet one, too!

Savoury Cranberry Sauce

1/2 lb. white pearl onions
1/3 c. golden raisins
1/3 c. dark raisins
1 1/2 c. boiling water
4 T. butter
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1 c. dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. salt
12 oz. fresh cranberries

1. Trim the onions, leaving the skins on. Drop the onions into a pot of boiling water and cook 30 seconds. Drain and slip the skins off the onions as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
2. Place both the raisins in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir in the onions. Add the sugar and 1 T. of the vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining vinegar and the wine, bring to a boil, and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Add the raisins with the soaking liquid, the garlic, and thyme, about 45 minutes.
4. Add the cranberries to the pan. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries are cooked and the sauce has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the sauce cool and serve at room temperature. Store any leftover sauce in the fridge but be sure to bring it back to room temperature before serving.