Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mom's Apple Crisp


This recipe isn't my mom's. It comes from my friend Shaila's mom, Mrs. W. She was like a second mother to me during those formative years ("thanks" doesn't really cut it for the countless rides to & from Harrow), and I always remember this particular dessert as one of her standards. This recipe is simple and delicious, especially topped with a scoop of your favourite vanilla ice cream. I wouldn't change a thing.

This afternoon, I visited the Applewood Farm Winery, near Stouffville, Ontario. They are part winery, part apple orchard, part pumpkin patch, etc., etc. (I love the Autumn Red wine). Their apples are "picked out" for this season. I asked if most orchards are done with their apples for this season and the man behind the counter said that most orchards in this area probably are. He said it wasn't the best year for apples.

Over the last week, I have had a bit of panic over the fact that I have missed the boat on so many fruits & veg that are now finished for the season. Yesterday, I found a farm stand nearby that still had sweetcorn; old but still fine. I bought 52 ears - shucking, blanching, and freezing my little heart out (for instructions on freezing corn see July '08). Still, I'm kicking myself over so many missed opportunities. Why didn't I buy another 5 0r 10 pounds of blueberries when we were down in Harrow? Why didn't I make more pesto when I had the chance? Doesn't it seem just a little cruel that when the fruit & veg are at their peak, it is also the nicest time of the year to be outside, enjoying the most beautiful weather, before the snow flies? I'll stop complaining right now. We are truly to blessed to have such amazing produce on our doorsteps, even if it is for a short time.


Mom's Apple Crisp

1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. oatmeal
1/2 t. each of ground cloves & cinnamon
1/2 c. melted butter
Approximately 8 apples, peeled & sliced

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, cloves, and cinnamon together. Add melted butter and mix thoroughly.
2. Place apple slices in bottom of 9x13 baking dish and spread crumble mixture on top. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. For a larger quantity, lower temperature to 375 degrees and bake a little longer.