Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Peaches & Cream Sweet Corn

I bought my first peaches & cream sweet corn last week and I started thinking about all of the great things you can do with it. Growing up, my Mom would freeze sweet corn, and throughout the winter she would pull out a bag or two, usually for Sunday dinners or whenever we had friends or family for dinner. I have never frozen corn and my Mom hasn't done it for a few years now, so I called my parent's next door neighbour, Auntie Carol.

Auntie Carol still freezes corn every summer and I knew that she would have a few suggestions to offer. Auntie Carol said that when she is cooking corn to eat for dinner, on the cob, she usually cooks it for 10 minutes. With the freezer corn, she only cooks it for 3 minutes, just until the kernels firm up. Have you ever tried to eat raw sweet corn or tried cutting it off? It is very juicy and it squirts all over the place. Auntie Carol never cooks the freezer corn with salt, just sugar. I'm not sure why but she has been doing it for so long, I trust her!

Auntie Carol is not related to me by blood, but is every bit an Aunt to my family! Her and her family have had the cottage next door to my parents house for 40+ years and I love to watch my own kids head over to her house now for little visits or hear them calling out "Hi Auntie Carol!". There is something to be said for great neighbours.

For whatever reason, I was looking at the online version of "The Windsor Star" newspaper last night. I came across an article for the Harrow Fair. It said that they are expecting over 7000 entries this year for the various categories that you can enter. That is a lot of judging! If you are going to be near Harrow on Labour Weekend, you may want to stop at the fair to check things out. Even better, grab a Harrow Fair catalogue and find something you can enter! I have got almost everyone in my family entering different categories this year. My Dad and my brother-in-law are both entering their BBQ sauces in the "mens only" domestic sciences section. My sister is going to enter a number of baked goods, as well as an unusual category in honour of the "Hog Wild" theme this year; bacon served three ways. Gavin and Ellen are getting in on the action with various crafts that they are entering. Ellen (in the four and under group) has already got two things ready to go - "6 natural stones in half an egg carton" and "6 natural shells in half an egg carton". We'll see how she does!

As for myself, I am keeping my entries under wraps until closer to the time. Truth be told, I am finding it hard not to entry every category, but I have to be realistic. One thing I know sure, I will not be entering any of the special categories this year that have bigger pay outs, but saddle you with the responsibility of baking another item and delivering it, in order to receive your prize money. I learned my lesson last year! To check out the Harrow Fair online, go to www.harrowfair.com

How to Freeze Sweet Corn

Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add 1/2 cup of white sugar to the water. Husk as much corn as you want. Place cobs in the boiling water; working in batches so you don't overflow the water! Cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and throw into a sink of cold, icy water. On a large baking sheet or tray, hold the corn straight with your hand on the smallest part and cut the kernels off. Fill small freezer bags with enough portions to feed your family for dinners.

*Whether you find peaches & cream corn, all yellow, or all white, it doesn't matter. In our family, it always seemed a treat to get the peaches & cream and I still love the look and taste of peaches & cream corn.