Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chocolate Pudding


Not another recipe from the Barefoot Contessa. That is what you are probably thinking. And I am aware that I have a problem, but it still doesn't stop me from trying recipe after recipe from any of her five books. I love her recipes, simple as that!

The "Barefoot Contessa Parties Cookbook" is a bit of a dark horse in my mind. When in need of a recipe, I usually grab the first Barefoot or the Family Style, both of those being my favourites, if I was forced to choose. The Parties book has a ton of great recipes, however, and this afternoon I made another one. Double Chocolate Pudding.

I have been thinking about making chocolate pudding for a long time. Today, the stars happened to line up perfectly, and it finally happened. I had all of the ingredients on hand, and I was in procrastination mode in a terrible way (the kids and I are leaving for North Carolina tomorrow and I haven't packed a thing yet!). When I think of chocolate pudding, I remember being in grade school and making the Jello pudding that you put in a Tupperware container and shake until it thickens up. What a treat that used to be, but let me assure you, this homemade version of chocolate pudding is so far beyond what a box of Jello can do, you will be amazed.

Oh, I can't believe I haven't mentioned this yet. My cousin Beth and her husband were somewhere in Connecticut having lunch at a diner, when who should walk in but the next best person to run into after Ina - her husband Jeffrey! I was so excited when she called me (mere minutes after the sighting)!!! He sat by himself and enjoyed a burger and a Coke. Could this be the closest I ever get to the Barefoot Contessa? I hope not, but it will do for now!

Chocolate Pudding

12 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. cornstarch (I used potato starch, only because I ran out of cornstarch)
1/2 c. cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
4 c. milk
1/2 c. milk chocolate, chopped
1/4 c. unsalted butter
1 1/2 T. vanilla
1/4 c. heavy cream

1. Beat egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and thick in the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment. On low speed, add the cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring the milk to a boil and, with mixer low, slowly pour the hot milk into the chocolate mixture. Combine well, and pour the mixture back into the pan.

2. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until thickened. Remove from heat, add the chocolate, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream, and mix until the chocolate and butter are melted. Pour into serving bowls or ramekins. Place plastic wrap directly on the top of the pudding, and chill thoroughly. Serves 6 or more people.

*I doubled the Barefoot recipe because I knew that in our house, chocolate pudding would go pretty quickly!