Sunday, May 4, 2008

Charmoula Marinade

Since trying this charmoula, I don't think I can go back to just plain old meat on the barbie! The first time I made it, I bought a fresh leg of lamb from the butcher, and cut it into small cubes. After marinating for several hours, we threaded the lamb onto skewers with red onions and sweet peppers. Kebabs really don't take long to cook, and when you are using a charcoal barbeque, the shorter the time on the grill, the less likely you will have any mistakes. To go along with the lamb, I made a dried fruit couscous with dried cherries and currants, a lime raita, and a green salad. Oh, what a night! For dessert, I made the baked custard (see April 2008). We don't eat like that every night, let me assure you, but my friend Shaila just happened to be in town again. If friends make the effort to visit us in Mount Albert, I aim to please!

The charmoula, couscous, and lime raita recipes all come from the same book - "The Flexitarian Table" by Peter Berley. I picked it up at the library but it is definitely one to buy. Here is the definition of flexitarian.
Flexitarian (n) 1. A person who is mainly vegetarian but who occasionally eats fish or meat or 2. Someone who is not a vegetarian but enjoys meatless meals.

I definitely fall into the latter category! The great thing about this cookbook are the veg and non-veg options for each meal. For example, if half of your family eats meat and the other half don't, the charmoula lamb recipe actually comes with directions for doing half lamb and half tempeh (I have never tried tempeh, but one of these days...). The book is full of delicious recipes, which are divided into seasons. It really is a gem.

The second time I made the charmoula, I got wise and kept half of it for another meal. I sliced sirloin steak (pop it in the freezer for half an hour or so and it slices beautifully) and did everything the same as I did for lamb. Really delicious! Then on Friday, the kids & I did a road trip down to Niagara to see my nephew Hugh. I took the other half of the charmoula and we marinated chicken breast. Again, fantastic! The meat always stays nice and moist (be sure not to over cook it). Keep your meat and vegetables close together on the skewer. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water before using them on the barbeque, or use metal skewers. At your next barbeque, you will have grown men swooning!

Charmoula Marinade

1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. packed coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 c. packed coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 1/2 t. sea salt or kosher salt
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. smoked paprika (or use sweet paprika)
Pinch of cayenne, or more to taste
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil

In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients, except the oil. Process to a smooth paste. Add the oil and process until thoroughly combined. Cut the meat (lamb, beef, or chicken) into cubes or strips. Marinate the meat of choice from 2 to 24 hours in the fridge. Depending on how much meat you are marinating, you should have enough to save half for another dinner. Either store the marinade in the fridge for 3 or 4 days or freeze it until you need it.