Sunday, May 4, 2008

Apple Cinnamon Twists on Seymour Beach

I grew up on Seymour Beach, in a house that my parents still live in today. It is on the north side of Lake Erie, and almost as far south as you can go in Canada. There are about ten houses that line the waterfront of Seymour Beach, many of these belonging to Americans and being used as summer cottages. I have known some of my parent's neighbours almost all of my life, literally.

That goes for my friend, Kristin, and her family. We played together every summer, and we continue that tradition to this day. Now we all have kids and our kids get to play together every summer. It is really something that I cherish. Kristin has wonderful parents. Al & Evie were like second parents to me during those years, and each summer it is a real treat to get to spend time with them.

Sometime back in the early to mid 90's, I started making these "apple cinnamon twists". Since each recipe makes two pie plates of buns, I had plenty to spare, so I trotted a plate of warm buns over to Al & Evie's cottage. The impact that those buns had on Al, in particular, was incredible. He has never, NEVER, forgotten these buns. Every summer he mentions them to me, the hopefulness in his voice never wavering. Over the years, I have baked many things that I have shared around the beach. Last year, I made the triple ginger scones, which Kristin had requested after having them the year before. But for Al, nothing will ever eclipse the magic of the "Seymour Beach Apple Cinnamon Twists".