Monday, April 14, 2008

Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken

This recipe comes from the cookbook "Mangoes & Curry Leaves" by Naomi Duguid and Jeffrey Alford. It is a beautiful, coffee table book that has wonderful recipes in it (a lot of books with that much show, often don't have that much go!). They are a husband and wife team who live in Toronto, but travel the world, learning about different food and cultures. I love reading their cookbooks and they also contribute to "Saveur" magazine.

When I initially tried this recipe, I decided to include it in a bunch of recipes that I am putting together for the Clean Food Connection website. You may, or may not, know that I am going to start doing a "recipe of the week" for the CFC website. Bob asked me to put together a few recipes up front and this recipe will be one of the ones that is included. I am going to try to do different recipes for the CFC and The Good Egg blog, but I just have to share this chicken with everyone.

Last week, my sister and my nephew, Hugh, came to visit. For one of the dinners, we had this chicken done over charcoal, the delicious Puy lentil salad (see previous recipe), and a green salad. It was a wonderful meal, and pretty healthy too. Lori enjoyed it so much, she recreated the same dinner over the weekend, and she encouraged me to post the chicken recipe on the blog.

I have made this chicken with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and with boneless thighs. The boneless thighs are my absolute favourite, staying moist, and cooking evenly and more quickly than leaving the bone in. I must admit, I love crispy chicken skin, but if it isn't your thing, remove the skin after cooking the chicken (the skin keeps the chicken moist).

Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken

4 chicken thighs, boned with the skin on
1/2 c. yogurt
2 green onions, sliced
1 T. minced garlic
1 t. sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

1. Mix yogurt, green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the chicken thighs and cover with the yogurt mixture. Let sit for at least 1 hour; longer if you have time.
2. Get the barbecue going. Once the barbecue is nice and hot, grill chicken over indirect heat, being careful not to burn it. The marinade will cook off of the chicken, leaving moist and flavourful thighs.