Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Baked Custard

I am recuperating from a fabulous "girl's weekend". Many G&T's, lots of great food, poker... and then a stomach bug hits me. I am still getting back to normal.

Last night, I was really wanting something comforting and sweet. This form of custard is what is known as "nursery food". So soft, warm, and delicious. Of course, the quality of the ingredients goes a long way to creating this simple dessert. I used eggs from Farmer Jones' hens, organic milk, and regular old, white sugar. A dusting of fresh nutmeg on top of the custard, before it goes in the oven, is great as well. However, in my delicate state, I wasn't taking any risks.

This baked custard was also on my list of "must-haves" when I was having my babies. Just as I catered to my sister's every whim during the birth of the ridiculously-cute Hugh, my sister was an unbelievable personal chef during those challenging hours for me. Here is a recipe that can get you through the tough times!

Baked Custard

3 large eggs
1/2 c. white sugar
3 c. milk

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Gather your pans together. You will need an 8x8 square glass pan and a 9x13 (or larger) glass pan. Make sure that the smaller pan fits into the larger pan.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a medium bowl very well. Add the milk and stir. Pour into the 8x8 glass pan.
3. Place smaller pan into the larger pan and put into the oven. Fill the larger pan half full with hot water. Bake for 75 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Store in the fridge.