Thursday, December 27, 2007

Smoked Trout Dip

On Christmas day, we usually have a small feast before the the big dinner. This year, we had Christmas at our house and the feast looked something like this... A selection of cheeses (La Sauvagine, St. Andre, Colston Bassett Stilton), homemade crostinis, large prawns (cooked in their shells; so plump and juicy) with cocktail sauce, fresh oysters with a mignonette (from the "Barefoot in Paris" cookbook), delicious cured sausages (pronounced "cha-bys"), and a delicious smoked rainbow trout dip.

This was the first time I bought smoked trout and I was so happy that I did. It came away from the skin very easily and it has a wonderful smoked flavour. I made a bowl of this dip on the 23rd thinking that I would have one more thing out of the way. However, it was so good, I ended up making more of the dip before the festivities even began. The second time around, I added the chopped capers and I liked the dip even more.

In the words of my brother-in-law Jake, "Give me smoked trout over smoked salmon any day." Try it and see for yourself!

Smoked Trout Dip

1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 whole smoked trout, skin removed, flaked into pieces
1 or 2 green onions, chopped
2 T. fresh dill, chopped
1 T. capers, finely chopped
1 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 c. sour cream
Salt & pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and trout. Add the rest of the ingredients. Serve with crostini or crackers. This dip is very good the day you make it, but it is even better the next day.