Monday, December 3, 2007

Curried Lentil Burritos with Cilantro-Scallion Spiced Yogurt

I had almost forgotten about this recipe that Elaine sent me ages ago. I came across it last week and after reading it over, I started collecting the ingredients that I would need to make it. Early in the afternoon, I made the filling. It was delicious on its own. Then I made the yogurt and let that sit for a few hours before dinner. Again, delicious.

I have to admit that this recipe was really pushing the envelope of what my kids are willing to eat. It didn't stop me from trying, but to be honest, they ate a few bites and that was it. Alan & I happily took what was left on their plates and I gave them something else.

When it came time to put the burritos together, I wondered about the "French toast tortilla" idea. Why not just roll them up in the plain tortillas and save a step or two. Well, whatever you do, don't skip the tortilla instructions! The tortillas became soft and warm and the cheese was just starting to melt on them. This combination paired with the yogurt sauce and it was a great meal that I will definitely make again and again. Next time, I will put a different filling in the burrito for the kids.

This would be a great casual dinner if you are having vegetarians over, assuming they eat eggs and cheese. Adjust the recipe by doubling or tripling the amounts. I doubled the recipe but I didn't use double the amount of broth. I would keep some broth out and add it as necessary while the lentil mixture is cooking.

Curried Lentil Burritos with Cilantro-Scallion Spiced Yogurt
Serves 2

For the filling:
1/4 c. onion, diced
1 T. sunflower oil
1 t. curry powder
1 t. jalepeno, minced (optional)
1 1/2 c. chicken or veggie broth
1/2 c. tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c. red potatoes
1/4 c. brown or green lentils (not the Puy lentils from France)
1/2 c. frozen chopped spinach
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt to taste
Saute onion, curry powder, and jalapeno in oil over med-high heat. Cook until the onion begins to brown, 5-8 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, and lentils. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spiced yogurt. Finish the lentils with spinach (no need to thaw it first), lime juice, and salt.

For the spiced yogurt:
1 c. cilantro leaves and stems
1/4 c. green onions, sliced (white & green parts)
2 t. fresh ginger, chopped
1 t. sugar
1/4 t. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 c. plain yogurt
Process all ingredients except yogurt in a food processor until minced. Stir herb paste into yogurt; chill until ready to serve.

For the Tortillas:
1 egg
1 T. milk
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 - 10 inch flour tortillas
1/2 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (I used Balderson Cheddar)
Blend egg, milk, and parsley in a pie plate. Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Dip both sides of a tortilla in the egg mixture, then fry in half of the oil until golden brown on one side, about 1 minute; flip the tortilla over.
Sprinkle with 1/4 c. cheese and continue frying until second side is brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate. Cook the other tortilla in the same manner and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
To assemble the burritos, place half of the lentil filling on the middle of the tortilla and roll the bottom and sides over the filling to cover it. Serve with yogurt sauce.

*I'm not sure where you got this recipe, but "thank you" Elaine!