Saturday, September 22, 2007

Curried Couscous

Last Sunday it was after 5 o'clock when I even started thinking about making dinner. This happens more often that I care to admit but let me explain how I salvaged dinner that night.

I have been buying wild sockeye salmon, frozen in portions, and vacuum-sealed. I pulled two pieces of salmon out of the freezer and popped them into a bowl of cool water. I peeled a butternut squash and cut it into small chunks. I threw the squash onto a baking sheet and tossed it with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Into the oven went the squash and I continued on with the meal.

I quickly boiled some water for the couscous salad. A one-to-one ratio of boiling water and couscous makes it a snap to remember even if you don't have a set recipe handy. As the water soaked into the couscous, I prepared the yogurt vinaigrette and chopped everything else that needed to be chopped. In just five minutes, the couscous was ready to be mixed. What a lifesaver!

I guessed that the squash would need about 40 minutes or so to cook and caramelize a little. With about 15 minutes to go on the squash, I quickly dressed the salmon in olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and kosher salt & pepper, and popped that into the oven. A bag of pre-washed lettuce mixed with some field tomatoes and we were almost set.

After only 45 minutes, give or take, we sat down to a beautiful Sunday night dinner. I think this recipe, from the original Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, is a gem.

Curried Couscous

1 1/2 c. couscous
1 T. butter
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 t. white wine vinegar
1 t. curry powder
1/4 t. ground turmeric
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1 t. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 c. grated (or small-diced) carrots, the ones sold with the tops on for best flavour
1/2 c. minced fresh-flat leaf parsley
1/2 c. dried currants
1/4 c. sliced almonds
2 green onions, thinly sliced (white & green parts)
1/4 c. small-diced red onion

Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in the boiling water and pour over the couscous. Cover tightly and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Pour over the fluffed couscous and mix well with a fork. Add the carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, green onions and red onions; mix well and taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.

*When I worked at "Elaine's" restaurant in Windsor, Elaine had a delicious couscous salad on the menu. It had chopped, dried apricots (amongst other things) and a honey-lemon vinaigrette. Add ingredients that you find appealing and that you have on hand. For example, don't worry if you don't have currants; substitute with raisins or leave them out this time.