Monday, August 17, 2009

Creamy Iced Coffee

While in Harrow this summer, we found ourselves hiding from the rain in the local library. I eventually wandered back to the cookbook section, my curiousity kicking in. I was delighted to see a few books that were new to me, and I quickly added those to the pile for checking out.

The one book that I absolutely loved reading was called Eating Royally by Darren McGrady. Former chef of Princess Diana, Mr. McGrady spent many years working for the royal family. Not only were the stories fascinating, the recipes all sounded delicious, as you can imagine they would be for Queen Elizabeth and her family.

This drink reminds me of a "Starbucks frapuccino" without the blended ice - not something you should have every day, but a real treat once in a while. Apparently, this iced coffee is served at summer garden parties. I used the whipping cream that the recipe called for, however using a lighter cream won't make this any less good. I added all of the simple syrup to the coffee mixture without thinking; the iced coffee became just a little too sweet for my taste. I would suggest adding the simple syrup to your taste.

Creamy Iced Coffee

1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water
5 cups strong coffee, chilled
1 1/4 cups cream (whipping cream or something lighter)

1. In a small pot, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil and reduce the mixture by half. Chill before using.
2. In a large bowl, combine the coffee, cream and the sugar syrup. Pour the mixure over ice and enjoy.