Friday, June 26, 2009

Spinach Appetizers

This recipe, originally from my mom, has been around for many years. It is really delicious, and yet it has sat in my recipe box, unused, for a long time. The truth is, with so many great cookbooks at my fingertips, I don't often reach for my recipe box and the treasured recipes that it holds.

I was reminded of these spinach appetizers by my friend, Kathy. I'm helping her with an open-house party this weekend, taking food, as well as being there in the roll of caterer/friend. She asked if I could make the spinach appetizers, which used to be my old standard party recipe. In fact, she asked if I could make two pans.

There is nothing fancy about this, and I admit that with almost a pound and a half of cheese, anything is bound to taste good. But it's more than that. It's the grated apple, the chopped onion, and the spinach, coming together with the old cheddar and parmesan. It's the savoury goodness, that truth be told, is delicious any time of the year.

*The day after... The party was a success, and this spinach appetizer was happily consumed, especially by one guest. There was a woman who was thoroughly taken with the appetizer and was thrilled that she could eat them, even with her dietary restrictions (no wheat). I had to give her the truth, that the dish does have flour in it. She looked disappointed, but resigned. The news, however, didn't stop her from helping herself to another piece as she sauntered by the buffet table some time later! Apparently, they were worth the consequences.

Spinach Appetizers
10 oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach, liquid squeezed out
4 T. unsalted butter, at room temperature or softer
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 lb. aged cheddar, grated
4 oz. mozzarella, grated
2 oz. Parmesan, grated
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, pared and grated
1/2 t. fine sea salt
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper

1. Butter a 9x13 pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the eggs with soft butter. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and milk. Stir in the cheeses, onion, apple and spinach. Mix well.
3. Spread the spinach mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into small squares and serve warm.