Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pasta with White Beans & Rapini

I have a new favourite podcast. "At the Splendid Table" airs weekly on APM (American Public Media radio) and is the show for people who love to eat. I have been listening to it in the car, in the kitchen, and when I'm taking the dogs for walks. Any chance I get, really.

Each show is almost an hour and it is packed with interesting information and stories - about food. Let me give you an example. I was out for a walk the other night and I listened to a show. It began with two regulars who travel around the US, reporting on great spots they find, and they talked about a place in North Carolina that does incredible barbecue. Next up was a discussion on fava beans and green peas. A scientist discussed the confusing world of good fats (omega 3's and 6's) and a wine expert talked about Barolo winemaking in Italy. By the end of that dog walk, I felt I had really learned something (I have been wanting to know more about fava beans, but I hadn't gotten around to it).

On a different show, the host and a guest were talking about simple pasta dishes. They rattled off one of their favourites. I came home and made my own version of it. The key to the sauce is adding some of the pasta cooking water to the other ingredients. The starch from the pasta adds some thickening, and the saltiness of the water adds all the seasoning you really need. They said to salt the water really well, with maybe a handful of kosher salt. You can add almost anything to this sauce - I used what I had - and the can of beans is surprisingly good in this, and good for you.

If you would like to check out these podcasts for yourself, go to www.splendidtable.org

Pasta with White Beans & Rapini

1 package pasta (I used spaghetti)
1/4 c. kosher salt
1 onion, chopped
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. fresh tomatoes
1 can white beans, rinsed
1 bunch rapini
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
1 c. fresh grated parmigiana reggiano
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped fine

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the kosher salt. Place the rapini in the boiling water for a minute or so, remove, and set aside. Cook the pasta until almost done to your liking. The pasta will continue to cook once it goes into the sauce. Reserve 2 cups of the pasta water. Drain and set aside until the sauce is ready.
2. In another large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions and garlic until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes or so. Don't let the garlic burn. Add the fresh tomatoes and continue cooking until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the beans, rapini, and a half cup of parmigiana reggiano. Add one cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir to combine and add more pasta water, if necessary, to make a nice sauce.
3. Add the chopped parsley and the pasta. Toss together and serve warm with the remaining cheese.

*I have to admit that I went ahead and drained the pasta without reserving the cooking water. The sauce wasn't as thick and sauce-like as it could have been, but I added some extra olive oil and another handful of cheese and it was still very good.