Thursday, April 16, 2009

Muffuletta Sandwiches

This sandwich is intriguing. It sounds so good, but I don't think I have seen on it on many menus (could it be that I'm not getting out nearly enough?). Let me assure you, I made my first muffuletta sandwiches today and, they are as good as they sound.

As you may recall from reading about the apple strudel yesterday, my sister was visiting. Our visit was cut short because Hugh was under the weather, and she left early this morning. She left me four panini buns and all of a sudden I knew what I had to make - muffuletta sandwiches. I wrote up a quick grocery list and away I went.

Please understand this; these sandwiches aren't cheap. Lori bought the panini buns for around $2.00. I had some of the ingredients in my pantry and the rest I had to go out and buy. Here is what my grocery bill looked like.

Roasted Red Peppers - $2.49
Fresh olives - $4.10
Provolone cheese - $7.69
German Salami - $3.60
Mortadella - $5.62
Black Forest ham - $5.17
Total of ingredients that I bought today - $28.67

I did buy more meat and cheese than I needed. It happens every time. I was trying to visualize, in my head, the size of the buns. I pictured them being about 12 inches round, when in reality they were about 7 inches, at their longest spot. I only used 1 roasted red pepper out of the jar, but I can use those for something else (soon though, as roasted red peppers go bad quickly). Just note that the amounts for the meats and cheese are rough estimates - you may want more more or you may have leftovers.

These sandwiches are definitely impressive. Alan, who has been having a very busy week, will certainly appreciate one of them in his lunch tomorrow (I'm hoping he skips reading about the grocery bill, though...!). If you were going on a special picnic with friends, they would be blown away by these sandwiches. Hoping to impress that special someone? These would do the trick.

Muffuletta Sandwiches

4 flat panini buns
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced to paste
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 t. kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
2/3 c. combination of green and Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped fine
1/3 c. roasted red pepper (from a jar works fine)
1/3 lb. thinly sliced Black Forest ham
1/3 lb. thinly sliced German Salami
1/3 lb. thinly sliced Mortadella
1/3 lb. aged Provolone, sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Baby spinach, washed and dried

1. Whisk together the vinegar, garlic, and oregano. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the olives and roasted red peppers and stir together well. Add the salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Slice the panini buns in half horizontally. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette on the bottom of each bun. Layer the meats and cheese on the bottom buns. Top with slices of red onion and cover the whole thing with a layer of baby spinach.
3. Divvy up the remaining vinaigrette on each of the top halves. Place the top buns on the sandwich and press gently. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap.
4. Refrigerate for at least an hour before eating, to let the flavours mingle, or leave in the fridge overnight and have for the lunch the next day.