Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Swiss Chard, Yukon Gold & Cheddar Gratin

I drove up to Farmer Jones' house today and he had an extra sign at the road. Along with four dozen eggs, I got a bouquet of zinnias, a big handful of romaine, and a grocery bag full of Swiss chard. I'm not sure if he is selling his rabbits as pets or as dinner, so I didn't ask! As we pulled into the driveway, I could see the goose and duck waddling around over by the pond. A quick glance and I saw that Mr. Cogburn was out and about. I love that place.

I tried this dish back in the winter with Kale and Gruyere cheese. Tonight I used what I had in the fridge and I think it was even better than the first attempt. It is part frittata and part potato gratin. My daughter Ellen even enjoyed it. I did have to keep emphasizing the cheesiness to her!

Swiss Chard, Yukon Gold & Cheddar Gratin

3/4 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced
Large bunch Swiss chard, washed & stemmed
1 T. butter
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ lb. white mushrooms, sliced
Freshly ground pepper
Kosher salt
½ c. old cheddar cheese, grated
¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
3 extra large eggs
1 ½ c. milk

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
2. Steam or boil the potato slices for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender, and set aside. Once cool, slice the potatoes into matchsticks.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add 1 T. salt and the washed Swiss chard. Cook for about 4 minutes, until tender, and transfer to a bowl of cold water. Drain, squeeze out water, and cut into strips.
4. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet (I used my Le Crueset cast iron skillet) over medium heat and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms are soft and flavourful. Add the Swiss chard and the potato slices, and season the mixture generously with salt & pepper. Remove from the heat and stir the cheddar cheese into the mixture. Scrape into the pie dish.
5. Beat together the eggs and milk. Add ½ t. salt, some pepper, and the Parmesan. Stir together and pour over the potato mixture. Bake for 40 minutes, until nicely brown. Serve warm.