Thursday, June 5, 2008

Rhubarb Punch and the Mount Albert Fair

There has been a request for this recipe, and since rhubarb is in season, I think it is the perfect time to share it. This rhubarb punch has been showing up at our family functions for about six years. My Aunt Karen introduced the punch to us and we have been making it ever since. According to Aunt Karen, "People who are not even fond of rhubarb enjoy this drink."

"Tang" is not something I go out of my way for usually, but I make an exception for this recipe. If you find that the punch is too sweet or strong, add more ginger ale. This punch would also taste great with some vodka in it.

A bit off topic, but I got some scoop on the baking contest this weekend at the Mount Albert fair. I called the woman who is running the contest, but I hadn't heard back from her. I was in the post office uptown today and asked the ladies behind the counter if they knew anything about it. They did, and they were eager to share. Apparently, there are a couple of older sisters that consistently win a lot of the prizes at the contest. And there is one other woman who is their biggest competition. Legend has it that one of the women used another one's recipe for butter tarts one year - and won! Tensions were probably running high, as you can imagine. I also found out that one of the sisters is legally blind, but this doesn't stop her from winning many of the prizes. Good for her! I like to hear stories like that. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try to knock her off her perch...

We supposed to drop off our entries on Saturday morning. They will be judged and then auctioned off at about 1 o'clock (note to self - go get some tin foil pie plates). If you are around, please come and bid on something. I don't want Alan to have to buy back everything that I made! I will keep you posted with the results on Saturday.

Rhubarb Punch

12 c. rhubarb - sliced and cooked in 2 two litres of water
3 c. sugar (or less)
1 pkg. orange Tang mix
2 litres of ginger ale or club soda (my personal favourite now)

Cook the rhubarb in the water for 10 minutes or so. Strain. Then add the tang and sugar to the hot liquid. Store this in the fridge and add the ginger ale just before serving. You can freeze the rhubarb mixture in several containers and the ginger ale at the last minute. Use fresh or frozen rhubarb (a great way to use up frozen rhubarb from last year!).