Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Uzbek Lamb Stew

When my friend Elaine mentioned that she was having a Russian New Year's party in mid-January, I was intrigued. When she told me how the party unfolded, I was enthralled! The menu was extensive and included iced vodka shots and champagne, no less. Most of the recipes came from a book called "Please To The Table" by Anya Von Bremzen, and Elaine sent me a copy not long after the party. I was not at this party, but believe me, I will walk over coals to be there next time!

This lamb stew was on her menu and she spoke so highly of it, I had to try it. It was delicious. Uzbek is short for Uzbekistan, a republic in the southwestern part of the former Soviet Union, near the border of Afghanistan and China. This area is apparently one of the most ethnically diverse in the world and this recipe seems to combine many ingredients that are familiar to me, yet produces a fresh, new style of curry-like stew.

I served the lamb stew with Basmati rice, with frozen green peas thrown into the rice once it started to boil. I didn't have much lamb and it still worked out beautifully. That is why I have given a range in the quantity of the lamb. In the cookbook, they call for a pound of lamb neck and a pound and a half of lamb shoulder. I checked with Elaine to see if she uses lamb neck, and she was quick to assure me that she does not. She uses the President's Choice leg of lamb, of which she said there is no waste. I believe it has most of the bone removed before it is sold, making it very easy to cut up.

The original recipe called for cumin seeds and coriander seeds, both of which I was out of. I used pre-ground cumin and coriander and the results were fine. I definitely think using the whole seeds would elevate the flavour that much more, but don't run out on a cold night just for those things. I loved the way the naan soaked up the juices; reminded me of my childhood delight - bread & gravy.

So, imagine this stew with a pomegranate and red onion salad, a glass of your favourite wine, and a table full of friends. Life is good.

Uzbek Lamb Stew with Cumin, Coriander & Bread

1/3 c. olive oil
1-2 lbs. lean lamb shoulder or leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped thin
2 sweet red peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
2 t. tomato paste
4 to 6 black peppercorns
1 t. ground cumin
1 1/2 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 t. cayenne pepper, or more to taste
2 c. beef stock (homemade or canned), or more if needed
4 garlic cloves, minced
Salt to taste
1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
2 pita breads or naan, toasted and quartered

1. In a large cast-iron pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches and brown on all sides, stirring often. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat to a platter. 2. Add the onions, carrots, and peppers to the pot and sauté, stirring, until deeply coloured, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain off most of the fat.
3. Return the meat to the pot and stir in the tomato paste, peppercorns, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, garlic, and enough stock to barely cover the lamb. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer until the lamb is tender, about 1 hour.
4. Add salt and the remaining broth and simmer, covered, for about 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Stir 1/4 c. cilantro and the bread into the stew and cook for 1 more minute.
6. Sprinkle with cilantro to serve.


*For those of you who don't remember, I worked for Elaine in Windsor about 10 years ago, when she owned Elaine's Bistro. She has since moved home to Newfoundland, opened and sold another restaurant, and cooks more than anyone I know. She is truly an inspiration to me!