Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cheesy Tuna on English Muffins

My Dad has requested that I put my tuna melt recipe on "The Good Egg Blog" almost since the beginning. This being his birthday, and it also being a very special birthday at that (did I already mention that he is 70 years young today???), I have decided to give him this gift. The recipe that was given to me by his Mom, Grandma McDonald, was a perfect lunch dish and she made this for us often.

I have found tuna melts to be a great lunch dish for my kids. However, keep this in mind if you are making tuna melts for company: not everyone likes tuna and I really like my own, but not necessarily anyone else's. Last spring, my parents had my cousin and her fiance over for lunch. When I called my Mom that morning, I asked her what she was making for lunch. "Tuna melts," was her answer and I groaned. How did she know that either of them even liked tuna? When I spoke to her later that day, she admitted that my cousin's fiance did not like tuna. I am sure he was starving by the time they peeled out of the drive, making for the nearest Tim Horton's. (not a quick drive from my parent's house!)

I have my own way of making tuna melts these days. I add cornichon pickles, dill pickles, and green onions. I also use more tuna and less mayo. I top the melts with my favourite stand-by, Balderson Cheddar. I really like both of these tuna melts and I won't make my Dad pick his favourite, especially on his Birthday! Happy Birthday Dad!

Cheesy Tuna on English Muffins

1 can of tuna, drained and flaked
1 c. finely shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 t. Tabasco sauce
6 English muffins, split & lightly toasted (or use hamburg buns*)

Mix together tuna, 3/4 c. cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce & Tabasco sauce. Spread 1 1/2 T. of filling on each muffin. Sprinkle each with cheese and paprika. Broil about 3" from source of heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
From Grandma McDonald

*My husband Alan has mocked me over the years for calling hamburgers, hamburgs. I am wondering if this is a Canadian small-town word or strictly a Southern Ontario colloquialism?