Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Oatmeal Pancakes

McCann's Quick Cooking Oatmeal has turned out to be one of my favourite ingredients lately. I use it for the Maple Oatmeal Scones, amongst other things. On the McCann's box, there is a recipe for Oatmeal Pancakes that is excellent. The pancakes are tender and moist, and I have been making them over and over again.
I always make my pancakes in my Le Crueset cast iron frying pan. I think this is part of the secret. The pan is practically no stick, as I never wash it with soap, and I use either rice bran oil, grape seed oil or sunflower oil in combination with butter. Once the oil is nice and hot, I drop the pancake batter into the pan and the outside gets nice and crispy, almost fritterish. Sometimes I add fresh/frozen Harrow blueberries or raspberries, or small diced apple or even sliced fresh peaches; all depends on my mood and the season!

McCann's Oatmeal Pancakes

1 1/4 c. McCann's Quick Cooking Oatmeal
1 c. plain yogurt
1 c. low fat milk
1 t. honey or sugar
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt (kosher or sea salt preferably)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional and I have never added them)

1. In a large bowl, combine oats, plain yogurt, milk, and honey. Stir in flours, baking soda, and salt. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Batter will be thick.
2. Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spoon about 1/4 c. batter onto hot pan or griddle for each pancake. Cook until bottoms are browned and bubbles on top start to pop, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until other sides are browned, about 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Add additional milk if batter becomes too thick. Serve hot with maple syrup or fresh fruit. Makes approximately 12 pancakes.

*This morning I am heating up the left over pancakes from yesterday in the toaster. Almost as good as fresh!
*The temperature of the pan is crucial. Too hot and the pancake burns and doesn't cook through. Too cool and the batter soaks up the oil and/or butter. Watch your pancakes carefully.
*I found my Le Crueset pan at Winners a few years ago. Keep your eyes peeled for one at your local Winners as they are very expensive in a regular kitchen store.