Thursday, July 12, 2007

Salmon Dip

This recipe originally came from "The New Cook Book" by Better Homes Gardens; the cover was a red and white check pattern. The recipe was actually called "Salmon Log" and you were instructed to shape the dip into a log and roll it in nuts or parsley or something like that. My Grandma McDonald used to make this often and I remember having many lunches at her house that were sandwiches made with this dip. I LOVED those sandwiches and to this day, if there is a special family occasion, Lori, my Mom, or I will whip this up.

This morning I was wondering what to make for lunch and I decided to make Salmon Dip. The kids helped me and they got to throw in their two cents on all of the different ingredients. The horseradish had them stumped because Gavin's first reaction (which inevitably was Ellen's first reaction!) was to wrinkle his nose but then I asked him if it made his mouth water and he said that he had to swallow because there was extra "water" in his mouth. The horseradish really did smell mouthwatering! After the dip was put together, I cut up carrots, cucumbers and put out a bowl of sesame bread sticks. We had a great lunch and the kids ate even more dip than I did.

We all know how good salmon is for us. I think of wild salmon being better than farmed salmon and canned salmon is actually wild salmon because the farmed salmon is too mushy to can. I always use the red salmon rather than the pink but that is just a personal preference because I like the darker colour and that is what my Grandma used.

Salmon Dip

1 can red salmon, with the bones and skin removed
1 8oz package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. - 1/2 c. green onion, chives or regular onion, chopped
1 t. horseradish
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper

Mix all ingredients together and taste for seasoning. Serve with crackers (Triscuits were a family standard with this dip), crostinis, fresh baguette, veggies, etc. Tastes even better after it sits overnight.