Monday, June 18, 2007

Chickpea-and-Carrot Salad

This salad is one of my more frequently requested recipes. Elaine was the one who recommended that I try it and I have made it several times since. The recipe comes from the "Once Upon a Tart" cookbook written by the owners of a cafe/bakery of the same name in NYC. I really like this cookbook for sandwich and salad ideas, although I haven't made any of the tart recipes.... yet!

Chickpea-and-Carrot Salad with Cumin and Black Olives

2 15oz. cans chickpeas
2/3 c. black olives (such as Moroccan oil-cured)
3 med. carrots (preferably those sold with tops), coarsely grated
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2 scallions (green onions), halved crosswise and sliced very thin

For the Vinaigrette:
1 garlic clove, minced
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
2 T. ground cumin
2 t. paprika
A pinch of cayenne pepper
2 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
3 T. olive oil

1. Drain & rinse the canned chickpeas in a colander. Dump into large bowl.
2. Pit the olives by pressing them with your fingers or smash them with a chef's knife. Chop the olives coarsely and add to the chickpeas. Add the carrots, cilantro, and green onions. I use a hand-held grater and grate the carrots right in the bowl.
3. To make the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients except the olive oil together in a bowl. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking as you go to form an emulsion.
4. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, and toss it all up with a big spoon or with your hands.
5. Cover and refridgerate for at least an hour, so the beans can absorb the flavour of the vinaigrette. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

*When I am mincing garlic for most things, I chop it as fine as I can and then I sprinkle a little salt on it. I use the side of my knife to mash it even further, so that it becomes a paste. I find the garlic is much more even and spread out in the recipe when I do this, as opposed to adding it in little pieces.